miércoles, 29 de abril de 2015

Djehutyhotep tomb






This inscription of 12 lines was the object of several reproductions, and this is fortunate because today it is no longer there. It described the transportation of the colossal statue, which takes place in front of Djehutyhotep



Following a statue of 13 cubits of stone of Hatnub. Behold, the way upon which it came, was very difficult, beyond anything. Behold, the dragging of the great things upon it was difficult for the heart of the people, because of the difficult stone of the ground, being hard stone.
 I caused the youth, the young men of the recruits to come, in order to make for it (the statue) a road, together with shifts of necropolis-miners and of quarrymen, the foremen and the wise. The people of strength said: "We come to bring it;" while my heart was glad; the city was gathered together rejoicing; very good it was to see beyond everything. The old man among them, he leaned upon the child; the strong-armed together with the tremblers, their courage rose. Their arms grew strong; one of them put forth the strength of 1000 men.
 Behold, this statue, being a squared block on coming forth from the great mountain, was more valuable than anything. Vessels were equipped, filled with supplies, [in advance (?)] of my army of recruits, the youth bore [... in advance of (?)] it. Their words were laudation, and my praises from the king. My children ... adorned were behind me. My nome shouted praise. I arrived in the district of this city, the people were gathered together, praising; very good it was to see, beyond everything. The counts who were of old; the judge and local governor who were appointed for ... in this city, and established for the [...] upon the river, their hearts had not thought of this which I had done, [in that I made (?)] for myself ... established for eternity, after this my tomb was complete in its everlasting work.

The long inscription - by Breasted
The long inscription - by Breasted

Djehutyhotep tomb

The tomb of Djehutyhotep, Great Chief of the Hare Nome is the most important and the best preserved of the tombs of the site of el-Bersheh. It bears the number 17L20/1
osirisnet.net

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario