Head from an Osiride Statue of Hatshepsut
Period:New KingdomDynasty:Dynasty 18Reign:Joint reign of Hatshepsut and Thutmose IIIDate:ca. 1479–1458 B.C.Geography:From Egypt, Upper Egypt, Thebes, Deir el-Bahri, Jaw from "Hatshepsut Hole"/rest from Senenmut Quarry, MMA excavations, 1922–23/1926–28
This head originally belonged to one of the Osiride statues that were carved in high relief in niches along the rear wall of the upper terrace of Hatshepsut's temple at Deir el Bahri. Hatshepsut wears the Double Crown of Upper and Lower Egypt suggesting that the head was from a figure in one of the niches on the northern side of the terrace. Another head, 31.3.163, wears the White Crown of Upper Egypt and came from a niche on the southern side.
These Osiride figures were architectural accents rather than freestanding statues and were carved from the same limestone blocks that were used to construct the temple itself. Four Osiride statues decorated the corners of the temple's shrine of Amun (31.3.153–.155), and a series of much larger statues were attached to the pillars at the front of the upper terrace (31.3.156, 31.3.158, 31.3.159).